I have seen many posts from bloggers who receive these web awards and honestly, now that 10000km to Windermere nominated me for the Liebster, I have no witty title suggestions. My brain is quite dead on what to call this post, particularly a title that has not already been used by others posting their response to this award. Regardless of finding the perfect title I love the motive of these awards: show someone that you believe what they say has some value and to share blogs you read that have limited readers (less than 200 if I remember correctly). In summation its an amazing gesture to let another blogger know they have some value in someones lives besides their own. As this is a motivational blog following my progress as I discover the world of triathlon and athletics, rarely do I discuss much about myself beyond the pains of once having been a couch potato whose index finger’s button pressing or a quick trip to the fridge or pantry for more snacks provided the greatest stimulus to his muscular system. So, the nomination of this award is greatly touching and provides an avenue for me to open up a bit with 11 quick facts or interesting tidbits about myself.
Similar to everyone else that 10000km nominated I will include his definition as it says it all:
The name for the award comes from the German word “Liebster” meaning sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.
Whats Required in accepting this gracious sign of appreciation (besides blushing gratefully)
1. Add the award icon to your blog – Check below, added to my event countdown area… looks like those need updating.
2. Link to your nominator to say thank you – Placed one above, I will place another here as he is a good read. If you want a good idea of his posts check out his recent best of 2012, good stuff.
3. Each blogger should post 11 facts about themselves –
4. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you and create 11 questions for your nominations to answer
5. Choose 11 up-and-coming bloggers with less than 200 followers, go to their blog, and tell them about the award – Not sure about 11, I will start with a few and expand from there. I read so many this could take some time.
11 Facts about Chatter – Besides the origin of the nickname (This will eventually get posted but not today)
1. I am not a fan of Elvis, but I am a fan of Elvis’s followers and fans. I guess you could say I am a big fan of the cult of Elvis and his surrounding cult of personality.
2. I spent a total of 10 years in my undergraduate college before I got a degree. I started with Astronomy/Astrophysics and wound my way through philosophy, psychology, history, film, journalism, sociology and anthropology to name a few and some of them twice. I attended 1 school for 8 years with changing majors and a 2.0 average gpa. After 8 years at the previous school I transferred and graduated from the University of New Mexico, Magna Cum Laude with honors and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Archaeology. I spent one summer as a student of the University of North Dakota.
3. In college I worked for a national collegiate publication as an entertainment reporter providing band reviews and movie reviews. Concurrently I wrote for the local school paper, worked for the school tv station where I worked on the news broadcast and had my own movie review show. I used to see 6-8 movies a week for free and I got to meet and interview Ben Aflek, Dustin Hofman and Wim Wenders to name a few. The most amazing thing about being a collegiate reporter was that you were fearless. Bill Clinton came to town and without batting an eyelash we went through the process of getting press credentials. We were set up right next to CNN and all the major news affiliates. I still have my press pass to this day.
4. While working as a journalist I was covering an event with Jhon Mcenroe in an exhibition tennis match. Because I was dating the PR agents assistant I was invited to the after event party, unlike the other journalists. At the party I was sitting with the drummer from Hootie and the Blowfish having a beer and talking music when McEnroe came into the bar and within ten minutes started to fight with the PR rep about her trying to talk to him(it was her job). Just feet away from me, I saw the bouncers come up to Mr. McEnroe and promptly force him to leave.
5. I drink a cup of coffee or two before going to bed as it helps me sleep.
6. For 2 1/2 years while I was at the University Of New Mexico I worked as a contract archaeologist.
7. While at the University of New Mexico everything I owned fit into two large duffle bags and a few boxes. While I worked as a contract archaeologist I lived in Leesville Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, Texas and Oklahoma. I often took off a semester or two to travel and work.
8. I currently work as a GIS software developer. Basically its all about writing applications involving data with place and space associated with it.
9. My graduate degree was a combination of Geography/Cartography and Computer Information Systems.,
10. I am a huge geek and love everything geek. In the age old debate of Star Wars versus Start Trek, I side with the best show of all time Babylon 5, neither of the two options. A close second of course is Firefly.
11. I am an avid reader of all Genres but currently Robert Jordan‘s Wheel of Time is one of my favorite fantasy novels (the final book, 13 comes out in January). In literature I love Warren Ellis, Chuck Palaniuk and Gabriel Marquez. My favorite comic book writer is currently Scott Snyder. Of course I will pretty much read anything.
What’s your middle name? Wayne
Did you have a teddy as a child? Oddly no I did not. I actually had a stuffed dog that only recently got thrown away because it was disgusting.
What’s your normal Tuesday routine? Morning wake up and watch an hour of television and eat breakfast, then walk to my office and go to work. During lunch I get in an hour of lifting and go back to work after taking the first shower of the day. After work I go and attend a pilates session. After pilates I hang with my gym associates and sit in the hot tub and sauna. Then a second shower for the day and home for dinner. Often I find myself at the grocery store before getting home. After dinner if there is time, play video games with the wife.
If the moon’s not made of cream cheese, what is it made of? Brie, most definitely brie.
If this is the question, what is the answer? 42
Do you like brussel sprouts? Love them, but only if they are fresh. Nothing worse than a bad sprout.
Which is your favourite child? Anyone that is not mine.
Have you ever met a giraffe you haven’t fallen in love with? Several, more into the primates myself.
Where were you happiest? New Mexico, definitely New Mexico, oh and Tuscon Arizona.
What’s your greatest personal achievement? Running a 5k last year and graduating from University with honors and a 3.68 GPA Magna Cum Laude.
Why do you think you would be a good candidate for this job? Because I could program my ass out of a paper bag.
Now my 11 Questions
1. Paper or plastic
2. Star Wars or Star Trek (Other?)
3. Favorite book or movie or T.V. show (Pick one)
4. Favorite super hero?
5. What is your favorite professional sport
6. If you could go back in time and meet one person, who would it be?
7. Do you yahoo?
8. In high school what group did you hang out with most (Jocks, Goths, Geeks….)
9. Besides sport, what is an interesting hobby you participate in.
10. What is your favorite video or board game?
11. What do you believe to be the most interesting thing about yourself.
There you go, answers up, questions filed and now I just need a list of blogs I find worthy of this distinction:
Ok 6 of 11 suggestions for right now. Check them out as they are good reads. I know it is supposed to be for blogs below 200 followers but I am not sure how to figure that number out so I just recommended blogs that I follow regularly (I follow over 60 blogs I think and these are frequent reads for me, a few are emotional training rocks).
Til next time.
- Liebster Blog Award (scorpiopassion.wordpress.com)
- The Liebster Award – Thanks And Nominations (shras789.wordpress.com)
- The Liebster Blog Award (allmeanssomething.wordpress.com)
- I’d Like to Thank the Academy… (triing2survive.wordpress.com)