As I mentioned in a previous post, this phase was longer than my first base phase as I wanted to include my vacation week as my recovery week. In some ways I think my fear of pushing too hard on a longer 4 week and then recovery, compared to my normal 3 week and recovery, caused me to ease my workouts and workout efforts to keep burn out from occurring. Regardless of the slight disappointing lack of increased hours, I have pushed things in this phase to amazing levels I never thought possible. In a little over three months I will be trying my first triathlon, I am starting to believe that I can complete it and enjoy myself.
In some ways base 1 phase was a process of proving to myself what I could possibly achieve if I continued with my training. In comparison, my base 2 phase proved how far I could push myself and how far I had truly come as the result of my training. In this phase I pushed myself harder and stressed the levels of my endurance. I added to my ability to swim, run and bike farther, to push myself up mountains and to run and bike through mental and physical blocks. In swimming, I began to swim a mile worth of drills and have gotten closer to swimming a mile continuously, a feat I never would have dreamed of completing before I began this journey. Biking wise, I have started to add miles to my legs and have fortified my mental fortitude when it comes to climbing steep hills. In running I have flattened out a little with increasing distance, but have continued to push myself and I even ran 3 miles including a very steep hill that had required walking before. The biggest accomplishment involved stringing activities together, such as running a 5k with a PR then a couple hours later completing a grueling 20 mile hilly bike ride.
At the beginning of this phase I outlined my goals, the post can be found here. While I am disappointed with my lack of total hour increase, I am very pleased with the level of effort and the quality of the workouts completed.
Base 2 Phase Highlights:
- Strived to complete a 20 mile bike ride. Finished this and then some.
- Continued to build fortitude on the bike
- Started adding an additional spin session once a week
- Fought to complete ride with technical difficulty
- Wanted long run to reach 4.5 miles, but due to races I have just barely gotten myself to 4 miles.
- First chip timed race I got 45:41, second one I beat that with 44:35 5k race time
- Hours diminished a little and I did not finish 3 solid days of runs, need to push this a little in next phase.
- Ran on the cruise ship during my vacation.
- Completed a 5k race as the clock changed after midnight.
- Started to work towards 1 mile continuous swimming, successfully increasing continuous distance weekly and total workout distance weekly.
- Went from completing 250 meters without stopping to 1000 meters without stopping.
- Swam almost a mile in the ocean while on vacation.
- Completed Pilates and strength sessions without missing too many.
- Worked on tweaking nutrition plan
- Pushed endurance by doing multiple big events on same day, such as bike and run a race.
As I mentioned I was not overly happy with the lack of hours I achieved in this phase, but the quality of work was really good and I had some definite milestones during this phase. The primary goal during the base 1 and base 2 periodization phases advances the endurance capabilities and expands the base muscular endurance. Starting with the first base phase leading into the second base phase I feel I have made giant strides in my overall muscular endurance and fitness levels. Every week I am amazed by my current ability to perform specific fitness and endurance activities. Base 3 Phase continues to expand upon the work completed in the base 1 and base 2 phases and should prepare the body for higher intensity workouts in later phases. Things are looking up and I just have to keep focusing on the upcoming goal phases with the larger picture goal kept in the cross hairs. I hope phase 3 will be as good as this phase and I hope I can get the volume increase I am striving for. Til next time.
- Base 1 Phase 3 Week Review (chatterdoesfitness.wordpress.com)
- Base 2 Phase Goals (chatterdoesfitness.wordpress.com)