In previous posts I have explained the basics of the periodization training method for readers unfamiliar with it. But, basically it is a divided training plan aimed at getting an athlete to their peak by race day and a theory on training practices. My current training is aimed at preparing me for a sprint triathlon in March. For me the last 4 weeks have been my Base 1 phase, consisting of three hard weeks of steadily increased training time and intensity. During these workouts the stress and focus centered on building endurance and a little bit on speed in the way of correcting and improving form. In some ways, the Base 2 phase continues the work done in the previous Base 1 phase but increases the duration and endurance aspect further. As the name implies the goal of the base phases is to build the base or structure all other training components have to be built on.
In the Base 2 phase Muscle Endurance and Force training exercises can be added to the training. But, I believe I still need to focus more on building my endurance and form. I realize that part of training is not just following a plan, but realizing what needs to be altered to need specific goals of an individual. I know at this point my endurance is improving. But, instead of adding some work to increase power and muscular endurance, I need to stick to building base endurance. So for this phase I am going to continue to run farther, bike longer and swim longer distances as my primary focus. Each week should get a little longer than the previous week as I add more mileage or additional time to my training.
Base 2 Phase Goals
- Bike: My primary goal here is to increase my distance to 20 miles of riding. With the sun going down sooner my rides will be limited to the weekends with spin workouts earlier in the week. If I finish this phase with a trip of 20 miles or so, I will count that as a success.
- Swim: The focus here is on form and continuing to build endurance. I plan to add sets to swim longer on consecutive weeks, building up to swimming a mile by the next phase.
- Run: I plan on adding a quarter more distance to my long runs each week and I plan to continue doing speed work once a week. I would like to be up to 4.5 miles by the end of this phase and have my pace consistently around 14 minutes per mile.
- Other: I plan on continuing with Pilates and using my roller more consistently to further supporting all the other activities. Also, I want to continue to get two weight training sessions in each week.
- I really want to focus on nutrition in this period and get this down solid. I feel like I have a good grasp of what needs to be done, but I do not pay enough attention to what I eat and right it down often.
The goals are pretty simple, continue building volume progressively each week and working to increase overall endurance. This phase will last a total of four regular weeks followed by a week of recovery. I am doing this to adjust for the timing of my cruise at the end of next month and that way I will have a recovery week during the cruise and I can excuse some running and snorkeling as my workouts for the week. I think this is a pretty simple plan and should have me stronger with better endurance for March. Til next time.