Yesterday I mentioned I am going away Thursday to Dragon*Con in downtown Atlanta. Dragon*Con is basically one big non-stop four day event. In my past trips I often did not sleep till very late, occasionally drank a little too much(don’t judge) and ate terribly. Things have changed though. In six months I am doing my first triathlon. In six months I want to be in the best shape of my life. For the last four months I have toiled to build a strong base of endurance, becoming the fittest I have ever achieved. So, how should I approach Dragon*Con … as a sinner or a saint?
I am thinking of aiming somewhere in between the two extremes. Unlike any time in the past, my triathlon training is extremely important to me. I do not want to set myself back because I got too sloppy and let myself go too much. At the same time this is a once a year event that I just want to enjoy myself. So I am going to have to remember the end goal and make some early decisions on how to handle certain situations and determine how to handle them before going. I think I can let myself loose a little bit, but not let myself reach excesses.
So my list of pre-made decisions that will keep on track and still let me have a good time:
- Alcohol is a different matter. I rarely drink anymore as its empty calories and really does very little for me these days. I figure I might have a beer or two and maybe a mixed drink or two, but I am going to aim to really limit the amount I drink. This is really less of an issue for me than it used to be.
- I am sure that sleep and bed will not happen as early as I have grown accustomed. Aim for some and don’t fret too much on this.
- Weights and workouts pose a challenge. The hotel offers some amenities but I will probably have little time to use them as things are very busy during the day and nights. I am not making an excuse on this, but con events go on late and start early. Luckily this event is in 5 decently spaced hotels in downtown Atlanta, so that will provide a little bit of exercise. I might swim on Thursday just because events don’t kick off til that evening and I have been curious to check out the Westin’s pool.
- Diet is going to be a challenge. I don’t want to totally throw this out the window, but this will be the biggest challenge the whole event. There are few healthy options so I might have to opt to eat as healthy as possible and allow maybe a couple of indulgence meals on occasion. This will take a conscious effort and I might cave a little.
- Drinking plenty of water is not an issue. I have always taken a few water bottles with me.
- Need to frequently check blood pressure and blood sugar as I am just now getting these under control.
- Have fun but always remember the costs associated with decisions.
So there is my list of what I will attempt to do. By committing them to this blog I am now accountable. I am going to have fun, but not at the expense of all the hard work I have put into my training so far. Thursday can’t get here soon enough! Til next time…